Cafe Libri: Reviewing Books & More
Cafe Libri: Reviewing Books & More
Uniting Readers & Book Lovers across Websites

Cafe Libri: Reviewing Books & More » Lists » "Coraline" by Neil Gaiman (Book Quotes)

"Coraline" by Neil Gaiman (Book Quotes)

• Jun 14, 2010
The following are a list of quotes from Coraline by Neil Gaiman. They are from the edition with ISBN number 0-380-97778-8. They are listed chronologically and adhere to the Modern Language Association's (MLA) guidelines for quotes to the best of my ability minus the author's last name in the actual parenthetical citation. I have cataloged them under thematic concept and included an introduction sentence to the quote.

Read the book review: Dark Fairy Tale for Children Starring Coraline, not Caroline.
Seeing With Different Eyes
Coraline and her parents don't see eye to eye; in fact, most of the adults in the book don't understand Coraline: "Coraline wondered why so few of the adults she had met made any sense. She sometimes wondered who they thought they were talking to" (20).
Sarcasm
The black cat uses sarcasm, wit, and humor to keep Coraline from becoming friends with him: "'We…we could be friends, you know,' said Coraline. 'We could be rare specimens of an exotic breed of African dancing elephants,' said the cat. 'But we're not. At least,' it added cattily, after darting a brief look at Coraline, 'I'm not'" (36-37).
Daydream
Coraline revels in her imagination and uses her daydreams to redefine her identity. It's an opportunity to be someone different and explore the world without any limitations caused by her age:

Sometimes Coraline would forget who she was while she was daydreaming that she was exploring the Artic, or the Amazon rain forest, or Darkest Africa, and it was not until someone tapped her on the shoulder or said her name that Coraline would come back from a million miles away with a start, and all in a fraction of a second have to remember who she was, and what her name was, and that she was even there at all. (67)

What did you think of this list?

Helpful
Thought-Provoking
Fun to Read
Well-Organized
Post a Comment
October 28, 2010
Good quotes. Yeah, sometimes parents and kids seem to come from two different worlds almost, lol.
October 28, 2010
Yeah, that's so true. Remember the scene from Peanuts where the adults talk and it comes out as "blah blah blah?" This book reminds me a little of that, lol. The parents really don't listen to Coraline very well. :-P

June 18, 2010
This will come as no surprise, but I have a tendency to embrace sarcasm and irony, so naturally the quote from the cat appeals to me. This in itself is rather odd since I'm not a cat person at all, but I guess if real cats were capable of sarcasm it might be a redeeming feature so I could overlook their predatory nature. LOL!
June 19, 2010
(laughs) The cat character was so much fun in the book. I do hope they stuck true to his unique personality in the film too!
June 19, 2010
He's not quite as sarcastic, but Keith David did the voice and I think that his personality came through nicely. In fact, the cat was one of the highlights of the film.
June 19, 2010
Nice! I can't wait to see his performance then. The cat was my favorite character of the book, so I'm happy David did him justice.
June 19, 2010
I think you'll be satisfied with the way that the character was adapted for the screen and Keith David is brilliant as always. It's a very different character from Goliath on "Gargoyles" though. He has great range as an actor.
June 20, 2010
That's great to hear! I love when actors are versatile like that.
June 20, 2010
And he really is. I've seen him play so many great characters in films, on TV, and doing voice work for various forms of animation. The man is a terrific actor, but he really hasn't gotten anywhere near the kind of respect and praise that he deserves.
June 21, 2010
I agree with you. There are quite a few actors in Hollywood that don't get the praise they deserve.

About the list creator
Adrianna Simone ()
Ranked #9
MY GROUPS (AND COMMUNITY):      The following information was taken from the officialCafe Libri Website.   Cafe Libri (Yahoo Reading Discussion Group)is the original Cafe … more
Cafe Libri: Reviewing Books & More is part of the Lunch.com Network - Get this on your site
()
This is you!
Ranked #
Last login
comments
ratings
questions
compliments
lists